Teacher Assistant (Lakewood)
Want to make a difference? Join our team of dedicated professionals providing support and treatment to at-risk children and youth facing mental health, child welfare and criminal justice issues. Through our Crisis Stabilization Unit (CSU), hospital diversion program (New Vistas) and Jefferson Hills Academy, we use some of the most current practices, interventions and protocols to address the complex needs of vulnerable youth and their families.
Teachers Assistant Position Purpose:
The Teachers Assistant supports the classroom teachers by assisting them in meeting student’s instructional needs, while by providing a safe learning environment. Responsibilities Include:
- Assists with daily teaching of required and modified curriculum with individuals and small groups. Works according the lesson plans and in partnership with classroom teachers.
- Will work alongside other staff and youth on the Milieu when regular school sessions are on break.
- Facilitates and maintains the safety and security of the residents and other staff.
- Displays understanding of low level interventions and the ability to manage crisis situations using Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) protocols of de-escalation.
- Implements treatment according to treatment plan and provides a supportive structured environment for residents admitted to Jefferson Hills Academy.
- Performs daily paperwork, i.e., forms, point sheet distribution, entering information onto the electronic medical record (TIER), etc.
- Provides structure with predictable and fair limit setting, while demonstrating appropriate boundaries.
- Attends and participates in required team meetings.
- Follows all Jefferson Hills Policies and Procedures, particularly, but not limited to confidentiality, dual relationships, Code of Conduct, Corporate Compliance, and physical and sexual abuse reporting.
- Must be willing and able to perform physical restraints with clients using required CPI techniques.
- This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with this job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
- High School Diploma plus relevant experience required. BA/BS degree preferred.
Must be able to submit a valid driver’s license and DMV driving record within 14 business days of hire to the human resources department.
- Knowledge of psychological, behavioral, and social systems principles, as they relate to the job.
- Ability to facilitate group activity.
- Capable of high quality documentation.
- Ability to teach and work with students that have significant mental health issues. Experience in mental health, crisis prevention, juvenile corrections, or related field preferred.
- Please apply with your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements.
Jefferson Hills is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status according to Colorado state and federal laws.
- Applicants must be 21 years or older.
NOTE: This position works in a licensed, residential child care facility. Drug screen and rigorous background check required for employment.
Jefferson Hills offers a comprehensive, affordable benefits program including health, dental and vision coverage, 403(b) with company match, long and short term disability plans and A FREE MEAL FOR EVERY 8 HOURS WORKED!
We seek to provide professional learning and development through ongoing training and a tuition reimbursement program. Jefferson Hills is an equal opportunity employer.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Job Status: Full Time